Sunday, March 11, 2012

Kony 2012

While reading at http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/09/kony-2012-video-criticism-uganda_n_1334549.html, I came across a quote that explains how I feel about the buzz on Kony 2012. "'There is no historical context. It's more like a fashion thing,' said Timothy Kalyegira, ..." and "It said that many nuances of a 26-year conflict are admittedly lost or overlooked in a half-hour film." I agree. Although the video is certainly inspiring and interesting, it doesn't tell you much about the history behind Joseph Kony's rise to power, and it seems like a big trend to me. If you don't repost, you don't have a heart, kind of thing. So naturally, we all heard together and follow the person in front of us. On the other hand, I feel bad for this man. He put a lot of heard work, dedication, and skill into a video that is being torn apart (despite its popularilty).

I support the efforts of Invisible Children fully, which most of us do, but in reality, I doubt I will buy one of those packages, or anything much else. That sounds bad, but really, how many of us are going to? I guess thats what I mean by it being a trend. But, as a class, perhaps we could pool our money together and buy a few. Power in numbers!

It takes four letters (kony) for the video to appear in the search bar in YouTube, which seems weird to me. And even then it isn't a top hit (only after you put a space after it). I put the video on when I started writing this blog entry, and it was at 72,433,716 views.

No comments:

Post a Comment