Monday, March 19, 2012

Reading and Writing Reflection #4

Book: Night
Author: Elie Weisel
Pages Read: finished!

Reading Reflection 

I finished Night by Elie Weisel in three sittings! It was a short book, less than 200 pages I believe, so it wasn't a huge feat, but oh well! I enjoyed the story, but I must say, the ending was not what I was hoping for. I wanted to hear about what happened after his liberation, how great he felt (or not), how long it took for him to recover, where he moved to, anything. The final few paragraphs were quite solemn, as he describes himself looking in the mirror for the first time in years, and not recognizing the emaciated face looking back at him. It ends there. I was expecting a nice, round ending with tied knots. I didn't feel happy for his liberation, I just felt pity.

My question of whether his sister and mother survived was not directly answered, but I assume that they did not make it out. His father did not see the day of liberation either. I took the book home, so I don't have it with me now, and I can't remember what I wrote for post-it notes. I will update this post possibly tonight! (after I watch Dancing With the Stars with my mom!)

Writing Reflection

At first I thought the "Moment" assignment would be tough. There have been so many moments in my life, none all that important, how was I supposed to write a story from nothing? But then I started writing about my newly adopted puppy, Eli, and what happened before we brought him home. It came easily, and words were spilling out, but I don't feel like there is a clear message to mine. It is supposed to be along the lines of: "When one door closes, another opens" or "Have patience and faith in God's timing" "Don't rush into things" or something cheesy and unoriginal like that. :P All those messages work.

Solitary confinement was helpful, it kept me focused on the task in front of me. It was difficult to stay away from classmates, since there were so many of trying to find a secluded spot on only one level of the building. Once I found a spot and decided what to write about, I wrote a page and a half on the joy (and heartbreak!) of adopting a dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment